Wednesday, July 18, 2007

West Side Story (Possible Spoilers)...

When Chris and I were first married we would go down to the video store on our day off (Tuesday, oddly) and rent a movie. We would take turns each week picking. On the weeks Chris would get to choose I would sit through a terrible movie (see recent posting on his blog), a stupid movie (Catch Me If You Can) or a total guy flick (Judge Dread). On my weeks to choose Chris would fall asleep (League of Their Own, While You Were Sleeping, Murder in the First, etc. etc.) or tune it out completely, which brings me to West Side Story. We rented WSS on video, which means there were two tapes because the movie was so long. We watch the first tape, Chris barely hiding his boredom. When the first tape ends (dramatically, I might add, with Maria's brother having been killed and her laying down with Tony) Chris gets up and puts in another tape. Only after the movie started did I realize that he had not put in the next tape, but a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MOVIE! So I said, "there's another tape, you know." And he says, "No, I didn't know. Lets just watch this one since its already playing and we will watch the other tape before the movie is due back." Needless to say, he has never seen the second tape and has no idea how the movie ends. Oh, he thinks he knows how it ends, but he doesn't. I really think his life has been less blessed for not having seen this movie in its entirety, but maybe that just me.

16 comments:

hobbitsister said...

he thought that was the end? and you're still with him?
about 16 years ago, enrique fell asleep 1/3 through "driving miss daisy" - he still owes me.

Chris G said...

*sigh* and I really like musicals... something about that one though- but- busymommy, I will gladly rent it and watch in :)

chelleybutton said...

That was pretty smooth, Chris ;) (but yeah, you owe her a 2nd-video-viewing now!)

(side note:) Has anyone seen the commercial (I think it's for Domino's pizza) where there are 2 gangs "dance-fighting" about pizza? It's pretty funny, I have to admit, even though it is probably making fun of WSS (which I haven't seen for a really long time and don't remember how it ends!--I need to watch it too, I guess:)

chelleybutton said...

Yyyeah.... I watch too much TV. ;)

not a blog said...

Our outdoor theatre did an excellent version of WSS a few years ago. We just found out that they're doing Sound of Music this year so we're thinking of figuring out a way to go!

Kimberly said...

oh sorry! That was me!

hobbitsister said...

we went to a high school performance of wss when we were dating. the guys in it looked like they were having so much fun with "officer krupke" - it made it a lot of fun to watch

chelleybutton said...

I think I need to see it again... (but that's funny/cute about the high schoolers!:)

BusyMommy said...

Chris asked if we could just rent the tape he hasn't seen yet. Sigh...

hobbitsister said...

you could get it half price!

BusyMommy said...

You are so not helping...

chelleybutton said...

It'd have to be a very understanding [male] employee...

melilotnfosco said...

i saw a high school version of wss with josh hartnett as bernardo. it was very fun.

melilotnfosco said...

i still want to see 'west bank story'

hobbitsister said...

i still say if i ever have a pet shark of my own, i'm going to name him 'nardo

BusyMommy said...

That is a good name. 'Member when Chris and I were going to get a dauschaund and name him stretch?