Sunday, March 22, 2009

Home Owners...

The Stallion and I are talking about buying a house. For years (12, in fact) we have said we do not want to own a home. We a)didn't want the responsibility of a house, b)liked the convenience of living in an apartment and c)weren't really the home owner type.

So what changed? Not much really. We still like living in apartments, we still don't really want the responsibility of a house and I think we are both questioning whether or not we are the home owner types. But with baby 3 on the way we are looking into moving into a 3 bedroom apartment where, for the first time, we will potentially be paying more for rent than we would be paying for a mortgage. So we contacted our realtor friend, Fiona, hesitantly explaining that we just might, maybe, possibly want to buy a home. She was definitely the right person to contact because she is not pushy and understands that we just don't know anything about buying a home. She gave us some sound advice, which we are taking, and a list of homes in our area, some of which are distinct possibilities.

Pray with us about this decision. We feel a little overwhelmed, more than excited, about our housing decisions. Part of us just wants to pack it in and take the bigger apartment. I'm wondering, did anyone else feel this way when they bought their first home? Or are we just crazy? (Probably the latter:D)

4 comments:

Fiona D. said...

I felt that way when we bought our first home. It is a monumental decision and one I don't encourage anyone to take lightly. My prayers are with you as you decide what is best for your family.

HonorMommy said...

Ummm...I couldn't wait to buy my first home...I love backyards too much. Unfortunately, we bought when the housing market was sky high because we thought AZ would end up like CA... DRAT. Oh well. You would be getting a MUCH better deal on houses than we did!

littlemomentsinaz said...

I agree with honormommy I loved buying our home....I love the space the backyard etc. I will pray for you guys that God will leadyou in the right direction.

Kimberly said...

For us it was the same sort of situation- either move apartments and pay lots (because here a 2 bedroom=approx. mortgage payment) or buy a house. I did like looking for a house too though, because in our apartment we didn't have a balcony and I found I needed an outdoor outlet (that and I had a great desire to paint some walls!) It a BIG decision though, and hard on the nerves. We're watching family buy right now and it's stressing them out too. However, now is a GREAT time to buy, so at least that part is easier! :) There's even a tax credit for you guys right now, right? For us, we put aside money in savings each month (it's just another part of our mortgage transfer) that's for house repairs so that the unexpected nature of home ownership is a little easier to take. We'll be praying!