Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I'm Sorry...

Yesterday a little boy at Z's dance class was having a hard time sharing. So he slapped Z, who ignored him, then walked around and smacked the other boy in the group. The mom separated him and told him he could rejoin the group when he apologized. So far so good, right? So the boy stops throwing a fit and mumbles something under his breath at our boys and his mom says, "He says he didn't mean to" and class goes on. This is bothering me for two reasons. First, he TOTALLY meant to! He even went out of his way to hit the other child. Second, what kind of an apology is "I didn't mean to". There is no remorse in that statement at all. Maybe I'm over-reacting. I didn't say anything to the mother, but I told my husband that I feel sorry for whoever that kid ends up married to because he is going to be the worst "I'm Sorry" say-er ever!

8 comments:

chelleybutton said...

i'd be upset about that too! and it's like, you can't discipline other people's kids, but what about when it directly affects your own??

Kimberly said...

Poor kid- he has little hope of being well adjusted with a parent like that. Seriously, little kids should be taught to be super polite and well mannered so that when they grow up and forget half of it, then they'll still be decent people!

BusyMommy said...

I like your theory, Kim. Probably true, at least through the teenage years;)

Chris G said...

See, I may have backhanded the mom, threw a fit, than mubled 'I didn't mean to' Wonder if she'd buy that??

chelleybutton said...

might get your point across well actually -- next time :)

BusyMommy said...

That is why you don't take Z to dance.

melilotnfosco said...

oh, but it would be fun

hobbitsister said...

and then chris would probably be applauded by most of the other parents there.

sometimes it stinks to have to be the bigger person. mel's right - sometimes it would be fun to just have a go at the other guy.