Monday, October 20, 2008

Small Town Life...

Chelley's post about small towns reminded me of this story.

The Stallions family has always attended the demolition derby to watch his uncle and cousin. Shortly after we became engaged Chris took me to the demolition derby (which I had never seen before). All of his extended family was there and while I knew most of them, I didn't recognize a lady standing in the middle of them holding an umbrella. So I asked Chris who she was and how they were related, but he didn't know. So he asked his mom who also didn't know. So she asked his aunt who didn't know. Finally we asked his grandma who looked at her for quite awhile before finally saying, "I don't know. We aren't related to her." Coming from a small family in a big city this was very amusing to me until we got married and people would see my last name and ask if I was related to "so and so" and I would have to tell them that I just didn't know.

And for the record, I just don't get demolition derby's. It just seems really dangerous to me, but maybe that's the point. IDK

3 comments:

chelleybutton said...

Hehe. She must've been an outsider like me. ;) I was just thinking how I'd love to see a demolition derby! (mostly just b/c it's so small-townish/state-fairish though;)

BusyMommy said...

Chris's uncle and cousin have both won first place a couple times, I think. Its really noisy.

Chris G said...

They are fun... but loud too. It became a family tradition to paint on the cars before hand... he started when I was less than a year old- still going after 30+ years!