Friday, October 3, 2008

Return A Blessing...

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14

We were talking in my bible study the other morning about this verse in light of our parenting. As a mother I have a tendency to tell my son to avoid children who "bother" him, but truthfully that is not what the bible (or Jesus) would have him do. It tells us specifically to seek out and bless those who persecute us. So lately we have been discussing how we can return a blessing to those who hurt us and how God will reward us for this behavior and bless us for obeying Him. But, dear me, this is so hard...

5 comments:

chelleybutton said...

That's definitely a hard one. Autosmiler has it on her email signature, and it's always convicting.

chelleybutton said...

In fact, it just convicted me to leave some facebook groups that probably weren't too edifying -- I joined them in the aftermath of the bailout letdown. ;) (But there are better, more positive ways to change things, although it seems sometimes like that's not the case!) Thanks for the post. :)

hobbitsister said...

sometimes this can be so tough to do...

BusyMommy said...

I know, but I've been trying to think of examples when I talk to the boys and I am amazed that the more I come up the more I realize how blessed I have been by these interactions. I wish I could do a better job remembering that "in the moment".

melilotnfosco said...

that's a hard thing for us to do, let alone to teach to children. go you for trying! :)