Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Time...

"Most of us sense something else about time: it is a resource. Moreover it is a unique resource. It cannot be accumulated like money or stockpiled like raw materials. We are forced to spend it, whether we choose to or not, and at a fixed rate of 60 seconds every minute. It cannot be turned on and off like a machine or replaced like a man. It is irretrievable."

Our pastor shared this quote at my women's meeting this morning and it struck such a chord with me. I was on the fast track. I used to joke that I knew God was God, I just had trouble with being still. But now I'm still. A. Lot. And I'm learning more and more how quickly time passes and how easily I've squandered it rushing to the next thing. Wanting to be done with the here and now and onto the bigger and better. I'm sad to think about all those things I've missed being a "busymommy". I hate cancer, but if that is what it took for God to slow me down then I will choose to count it all joy. Because there is so much beauty in being still.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Amen to that! I often wonder what I would have missed if I hadn't gotten sick. And even still, I feel the need to slow down more. It manifests as a drive to move to the country- but really then I'd only spend more time in the car. I need to figure out how to slow down, even surrounded by people. Any ideas?

melilotnfosco said...

there is definitely a beauty in being still. i'm so thankful you can see the beauty in the midst of the hard times. GOD is good.

HonorMommy said...

All I can say is...you are a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing all that you do.

BusyMommy said...

Kimberly,

I wish I knew, but I never manage to slow down until God forces it on me. Now I'm praying that God will help me remember these valuable lessons during times when I'm feeling better.

chelleybutton said...

That's an excellent point -- and an excellent quote.