Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Uncomplicated Prayers...

Stories from the Growing Years By: Arleta Richardson

"Our daughters have gone into business" Sarah Jane announced.

"What kind of business?"

"They're selling prayers."

I don't know what I'd expected to hear, but nothing in my experience had prepared me for this. "They're selling what!?"

"Prayers. Actually, Jessica is selling them. Alma is praying them. And they're dividing the proceeds."

My knees gave way and I sat down in the closest chair. "Maybe you'd better start at the beginning."

"I told you that Alma had assured Jessica that the new baby was a sister because of her prayers. It sounded like too good a talent to waste, so Jess persuaded Alma to pray for a new dress for her before school started. Sam got wind of it and allowed as how he could use a new pocket knife. Alma agreed to give it her best effort. Don't ask me how it happened, but Grandma Clark sent Jessica a dress and Grandpa Charles sent Sam a knife."

"It turned out," Sarah Jane continued, "that since three things that Alma had prayed for were granted, it seemed likely that whatever she asked would be given."...

Z prays. A lot. About everything. But one of his most consistent prayers go like this, "Dear Jesus. You are the one true God and you can do anything. Please make Asher get better. Amen." Asher is our friends son who has Cystic Fibrosis. When I wrote about losing our sweet Paxon, that was Asher's baby brother. Well, Asher is getting another brother in March. We are so excited and I could hardly wait to tell the boys. I was able to share the big news yesterday...

October 18th: Today I told Isaac that you were expecting a baby boy. He burst into tears. When he calmed down he explained it to me and I burst into tears.

"Mommy, when Paxon died I cried and cried because that was Asher's brother. So everyday when I prayed that God would make Asher better I prayed that He would give him another brother, too. And He heard me, mom. Do you know what that means? It means God can make Asher better someday, we just have to keep praying and looking for a cure."


..."No wonder Jesus said we must become as little children," Sarah Jane said when the girls ran off to play. "We go out of our way to complicate our faith, don't we?"

"Yes," Thomas replied, "With about one-tenth that much, we could change the world."

So...what big prayers are you praying with confidence?

4 comments:

hobbitsister said...

oh, this makes me cry!

melilotnfosco said...

so sweet. sadly i can't say that i pray that believingly. it's a beautiful thing to see.

HonorMommy said...

Well, I wasn't expecting to cry first thing this morning...

Rachel Olimb said...

Your little boy is a complete blessing from the Lord! It's so humbling to hear how much he prays for our family. I can't wait to celebrate with him with that cure is found!!! I also can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for your son and his sweet, compassionate heart. Love you all.